What is CAS3, CAS4 and CAS+?
CAS stands for Car Access System. It is a programmable hardware control unit which serves as an anti-theft alarm system and enables the start of BMW vehicles. There are three main components of CAS
- Data link to DME/DDE
- Engine control module (DME/DDE) with coded start enable input
- EWS-DME/DDE interface
What is DME?
Think of it as a comprehensive management system for the BMW engine. It stands for Digital Motor Electronics (DME) whose purpose is to control critical engine’s operation to ensure that your car is operating at optimum level by delivering highest performance and the lowest possible fuel consumption and emissions.
There are few key terms which you, as an owner must know about
- BMW Scanner: It scans electronic modules to find faults in various modules and to install software updates on the electronic modules of the vehicle.
- DME ECU Programming: It is what Windows Operating System is to computer. It tells DME that how it should manage the engine performance to ensure max. performance.
- DME ECU Recoding: This process configures ECU with VIN number, programming codes, and transmission settings.
- DME Alignment/Synchronizing: When we install a new ECU, it needs to be configured to make it compatible with car. This process is called DME Alignment/Synchronization.
At Autophd, our competent staff is skilled to troubleshoot the problems and repair CAS 3, CAS4, CAS+ and DME at fraction of cost.